Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I just got home from the doctor and my dog got one of my…

I just got home...

I just got home from the doctor and my dog got one of my tecfedera. I don't know how much he ate. He weighs about 15 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Luke 3yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Luke?

3years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luke?

Just don't know how much if any he swallowed. a lot was on the ground

11/15/2017
Rebecca, Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear what happened with Luke.

This drug is not used in veterinary medicine, and I have been researching but not finding much about it in dogs. In high enough doses, it can be hard on the liver and kidneys, but it sounds like you do not know how much he got.

You can call ASPCA poison control at(###) ###-#### They have the largest data base and if anyone has information about this drug in dogs, it will be them. There is a charge for the call in most cases (donation to ASPCA).

You can try to induce vomiting with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream.

Or you can monitor him for vomiting and loss of appetite, and take him to your veterinarian for fluid therapy if he seem to be sick.

Please let me know if this is helpful and I will continue to research.

More research; you could see vomiting and diarrhea. If you can guess at how many milligrams he might have gotten that would be helpful.

Thank you so much for the info. He seems to be ok. I'll watch him carefully. I am going to have to be more careful with this med. I appreciate your time. Cheryl Gabriel

You are welcome. I hope he is OK but if a lot was on the the ground maybe he did not get much.

I am so sorry but I can't make calls for the website. I can answer questions here.

That offer did not come from me!

Rebecca, Veterinarian
thats ok. you helped and if i need i'll take him to the vet . his vet was the one that told me to contact you. which i'm glad I did
DrRoyC
Phone call session started

Thank you for the great rating! Please let me know how he is doing.