Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My son left his dog for 3 days and 3 nights with no food or…

My son left his dog...
My son left his dog for 3 days and 3 nights with no food or water. What are the health and psychological consequences of that?
11/15/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Has this situation been corrected? Does this dog now have access to food and water? How is he acting at this time?

he's being fed now. This just happened last weekend and I haven't seen ***** ***** yet since the incident. He is coming home to us tomorrow. Here's the background:My son Richard has been living with me nearly all the time since ***** ***** was born. When he moved out a few months ago, he couldn't take Parker with him because his new yard is not fenced. So my husband and I gladly kept Parker, conditional upon his taking Parker when we are out of town. The first time was this weekend. We left home Friday, and Richard said he would pick Parker up Friday afternoon. He forgot him!!! ... until my sister discovered Parker at the house Monday afternoon. Parker has always been very affectionate & loving towards her, but he was fiercely growling at her & took time to warm up to her, and acted very despondent. We are horrified that this happened, and are concerned that he thinks my husband & I are the ones who abandoned him since we were the last ones he saw before that. Plus, we fear that Richard did not take any special care in re-introducing food to him and that he could have long term physical consequences in addition to psychological/emotional pain from the abandonment.Richard will bring Parker home tomorrow, and we need to educate my son about the potential consequence of his neglect. But we don't want to misrepresent the damages he could have done to Parker, plus we need your professional input about anything what we can do to help Parker get over this horrible experience.

I'm very sorry for my delay as my internet went down and then I went off line late last night. The good news here is that I wouldn't expect there to be any long term psychological consequences from this. He's not going to associate this event with a specific person and hold a grudge against that person. Why did he growl at your sister when he discovered her, that may have just been at that moment his body was all stressed and that was his reaction. There shouldn't be any remembrance from this towards any other family members. I would bet that when he gets home today, he'll be back to his normal and affectionate self and you won't have any way to see that this happened to him. From a health aspect, the lack of food wouldn't have caused any damage. The lack of water, that was getting close to the time frame where some serious issues with the body can happen. I wouldn't want to see this go on for another day or two as the lack of water would have been getting critical. Sometimes accidents happen. Going forward, learning from this and setting up check points can be done. In the future, one easy check is to call the person in 24 hours to make sure they are taking care of him when you're gone. Please let me know how he does when he gets home today!

Thank you for your comforting and educational response. He is home now & responding as you predicted, excited and affectionate, with no apparent negative consequences. We did seize the opportunity to educate my son that if my sister had not happened by when she did, and Parker had remained without water for the remaining days, the results could have been catastrophic. Thank you so much for your help.
I’m glad to help. I’m very glad to hear that Parker is doing great at home at this time. Life is full of lessons and your son has learned a good one about responsibility. Give Parker a good petting for me since I can’t!
Will do!!
Take care!!!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian