Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My maltese shitzu has redness in her eyes and they seem to

Hello. My maltese shitzu has...
Hello. My maltese shitzu has redness in her eyes and they seem to tear a lot
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Joye. She is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joye?
Customer: No. She's in good health and very active
11/15/2017
dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry to hear about Joye's eyes. I suspect it is allergy related with it being both eyes but if it continues please consider a veterinary exam to rule out other underlying causes that may require prescription therapy

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! This can irritate and exacerbate the tears and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably every 8-12 hours but may cause mild sedation

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basis

If the above has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not another cause that requires medical therapy

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Hello. This seems to have gotten worse over the last week. It initially began in one eye and I noticed it running all the time.
I would wipe it gently but it now has spread to the other eye and she woke up this morning with a white/yellowish discharge on both- though not a lot.
Customer reply replied 6 days ago
Should I be more worried?

With discharge changing color it would be best to have her seen in the next few days but hopefully my suggestions will keep her comfortable until you can get her in to your vet

dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u, Veterinarian