Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a lab about 5 years old she has a chocking kind of

Customer Question
cought JA: What sort of animal...
i have a lab about 5 years old she has a chocking kind of cought
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: lab
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?
Customer: she has a chocking cought
JA: Where does the animal seem to hurt?
Customer: she has a chocking cought
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: no she has gain a lot weight
JA: Is the animal eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the animal having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: no
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the animal behaving differently?
Customer: just the cought
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: daisey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisey?
Customer: no spaded about 4 years ago
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Veterinary
11/14/2017
Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 27 days ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

My apologies for the BOT that answers your questions initially.

Has she been in contact with any other dogs in the past week- kennel, boarding, grooming?

Vaccines are current?

Never happened before?

Paul

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
never happen before this about a week old she stays in house

Thanks.

And does she couch more in the AM? after exercise?

Does she have trouble breathing?

Paul

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
just want to know if i can do for her
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
she breath hard sometimes

Okay sorry for all the questions but they help me to rule in/out differentials.

And does it sound like she is having a hard time getting air into her lungs or is it just a coughing?

Last question

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
it a gagging type of cought

Okay.

Here is what we are going to do:

Put her in bathroom and turn shower on hot for ten minutes.

Do this three times a day.

This will humidify the airways and should help a lot

Give her Robitussin DM- One teaspoon three times daily.

This is a good cough suppressant.

Do this for two to three days and the cough should be appreciably better.

If it is not then we are dealing with a more complicated problem and she will need to be examined and chest x-rays taken.

Make sense?

Paul

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
ok thanks

You are very welcome.

Please update me tomorrow AM- I will leave this link open.

And please dont forget to rate me- that is how I get paid.

Paul

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
have a lab 5 years dont want to eat she acts like she can not poop
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian