Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

She jumped off the bed and is limping a little. I checked

She jumped off the bed...
She jumped off the bed and is limping a little
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I checked her paw pads and the foot and there is no visible injury
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kenya is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kenya?
Customer: no--I gave her 25mg of Rimadyl last night because she was not putting any weight on the leg and this morning she was running around again
11/14/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Kenya started limping after jumping off a bed. The limping went away after given 25 mg of Rimadyl. I can answer this question for you. First, can you please tell me if it was a front or back leg that she was limping?

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Front leg

Thank you. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a few moments.

A front leg lameness can be caused by ligament or muscle injury, and this is quite common when dogs jump down from a high surface. The worst case scenario is that Kenya has arthritic changes in her shoulder or elbow and the jumping down flared up some inflammation in one of those areas. X-rays would be required to look for evidence of arthritis. The fact that it responded so favorably to an anti-inflammatory indicates that, wherever the source, inflammation was the cause of the limping. Continued treatment should consist of rest and an anti-inflammatory medication for 3-5 days. This would mean not allowing her to jump off of furniture or do any running. Short leash walks should be fine.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Is there anything OTC that she can be given?

Aspirin is the only other anti-inflammatory medication to give that is available over-the-counter, but you are already using Rimadyl and it is not safe or needed to use both of them together. Benadryl can help give her some relaxation. What would be most effective would be to apply a cold compress to the area of soreness. The most likely place for the soreness to be would be the wrist, elbow, or shoulder. Decreasing inflammation and rest is the goal of treatment. The only other thing that typically gets added if needed is a pain medication like Tramadol. This is a prescription though.

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Ok, so I could switch to ASA? I only have 1-2 Rimadyl left and would prefer to use something OTC for follow up
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
What would be the dose?

The dose is 0.5 mg/kg given every 24 hours. You would want to wait at least 24-48 hours after giving your last Rimadyl dose to make sure there is no overlap within the body. I can give you the exact amount to give if you know Kenya's estimated weight.

Customer reply replied 3 days ago
24 pounds and I am guessing this would be an 81mg ASA?

That is correct. The dose you want to get to is 10 mg every 24 hours. Therefore, this would be 1/8 of an 81 mg tablet.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 3 days ago
Ok, Thank you very much Dr. Perry. You're keeping your 5 Star rating! Have a great day

You too. Take care!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian