Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Came home and my 14 year old min pin was limping and helped

when touched. Took Jack to...
Came home and my 14 year old min pin was limping and helped when touched. Took Jack to get they gave me methocarbamol tablets 500mg. Gabapentin capsules 100mg whitch I have given for a week today. Still in pain. The vet also gave prednisone 5mg I did not give because he's old a and read the side effects what do you think? Should I give the prednisone would that made the difference he had no exrays but said it was intervtebral disk. No exrays he has ramps all over but must of jumped of couch when I was not home
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No shoulder
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?
Customer: Just he's 14
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...

You absolutely need to give your dog the prednisone if your dog has IVDD. He cannot heal with the steroid and he also must be crated or seriously confined for at least 2 weeks.... steroids short term are nothing to worry about..

sorry that should say he cannot heal without the steroid...

can I answer any other questions for you today?

Have I waited to long at this point or should I start it right away and it will still work

absolutely go ahead and start...make sure to give steroid with food....how much methocarbamol did your vet prescribe and how much does your dog weigh?

how much of the 500 mg tablet did they want you to give?

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance....I will be checking my computer later this evening and I am happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. Sincerely, DRB

20 of the gabapentin 100mg 1 capsule every 12 hrs for 3 days then 1 every 24 gr8 as needed. The methocarbamol tablet 500mg half a tablet every 8 or 12 gr8 as needed. The prednisone 1 tablet every 12 or 8 hr for 5 days then 1 every 24 hr till gone
Dog is 15 lbs 14 years old they gave me 12 and to give half tablet every 8-12 hrs as needed
should I ice it or put heat will that help also

Give all the medication as directed by your doctor but give all it twice daily.....

Pred: give 1 tablet every 12 hours for 5 days, then 1 every 24 hours until gone..

Gabapentin: give 1 cap every 12 hours for 3 days and then 1 at night before bed until gone

Methocarbamol: 1/2 tablet every 12 hours

No ice or heat needed.

Confinement for 2 weeks strict

follow up with your vet in 1 week if no improvement after the above...

Let me know if you have additional questions.

DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Thank you

sure thing...let me know if you have any additional questions...I will be back online tonight...and this question will stay open for a few days. DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian