Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Major diarrhea for about 2 weeks now. been on flagyl for 7…

Major diarrhea for about...

Major diarrhea for about 2 weeks now. been on flagyl for 7 days and vet diet but began with nausea too yesterday. Dr prescribed another round of flagyl but has not done xray or blood work yet - he has lost 2 pounds in 1 week

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Scottish Terrier - about 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the terrier eat anything unusual?

About 3-4 weeks ago a maxi pad

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the terrier's name?

Charlie

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. Please give me a few moments to type my full response.

I need to ask a few questions to best help. What diet is he on now? How many times has he vomited? Is there any blood in the stool? When you started the flagyl, did the diarrhea improve or has it stayed the same? Is the diarrhea watery?

He is just hacking like he needs/wants to vomit - he breath smells like vomit. The diarrhea started out very foul, dark with blood and mucus. Now it is a liquid brown. He was given a shot for nausea yesterday at the vet.
can purina pro plan vet diet EN and forti flora sprinkled on it
he is eating very little though...drinking some

With watery stool and nausea, he really needs to be on iv fluids and to have some bloodwork. Flagyl is not enough to stop watery diarrhea. The probiotics are great, but not effective in his case to quiet things down. Ideally, he would go back in to the vets, have a CBC and biochemical profile ran and be placed on iv fluids with electrolyte support based on his bloodwork. I find that when the diarrhea is watery and has been this long standing, that they become very sick and can even become septic. He likely needs a broader spectrum of antibiotics than just flagyl. He really needs the additional support of the iv fluids to feel better. Please ask any follow up question.

Okay - I kind of felt that way - but didn't know if I was overreacting. I will do that today. Thank you.

You are definitely not over reacting. Your welcome.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian