Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 150 pound Newfoundland May have ingested medication for…

My 150 pound Newfoundland...

My 150 pound Newfoundland May have ingested medication for my horse this morning. Possibility would be .5 mg of Prascend and/or a 57mg tablet of Equioxx. He is not showing any symptoms-how concerned should I be and when can I consider him safely out of the woods?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No-no other medications or health problems.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. Please give me a few moments to do some calculations. How long ago was the ingestion?

About 45 minutes

Okay, so the Prascend is likely to cause vomiting and lethargy. This can happen at very low doses and would likely start within 3-4 hours of ingestion. It is usually short lived, < 24 hours. It does sometimes require treatment with anti nausea medication. Rarely, we can see neurologic stimulation and blood pressure issues. Because he is a big guy, you may not see any signs. There is not a LD50 listed for that drug and most of the information I could find about toxicity was with massive ingestions. The Equioxx should not be an issue unless he has a sensitive stomach. That medication is also used in dog at a dose of 5 mg/kg therapeutically and your guy got 0.8 mg/kg.

So, you have the option to induce vomiting since it has been less than an hour. You can give 4-5 tablespoons or hydrogen peroxide by mouth, shake up his belly and run him around to get him to vomit, or you can just treat him symptomatically if any signs appear. This would mean taking him to you local veterinarian for anti nausea medication if he starts vomiting. Would also have his blood pressure checked if he does start vomiting. Please ask any follow up questions.

Perfect-so at the 24 hour mark, if we haven’t seen any symptoms, we aren’t likely to?

Yes. Usually, the vomiting starts within a few hours.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Great-thank you for all of your help.

Your welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill