Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

She has eaten a whole rabbit as far as I can tell as she

found it dead up a...
She has eaten a whole rabbit as far as I can tell as she found it dead up a hill & rigour mortice had set in but otherwise looked fairly fresh, she's quiet sleeping off & on will she be OK?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name's ***** ***** is a rescue dog so we don't know her exact age, but she's about 2 & half size of a Collie, small German Shepard & a high energy dog.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tilly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tilly?
Customer: I don't think so
11/14/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. How long ago did she eat this rabbit?
Just over an hour ago
More than an hour ago, will she be OK what can I do ?
Ok. This is one of those situations that whilenit may seem gross to do this, it most likely isn’t going to be a bad medical issue. Dogs have been doing this sort of thing a long time before man really took over feeding them. They are carnivores and in the wild, this is a main part of their diet. For the most part, as long as there is no vomiting, then it seems to be no issue for her. Her digestive tract has he capacity to digest and pass this. Rarely does a blockage happen. I typically fall into the keep everything normal with their feeding / activity and wait to see if any issues arise.
Ok thankyou ...but what issues should I look for & is vomiting good or a bad sign?
Vomiting could be a bad sign - indicating that some bone has gotten stuck somewhere. Basically vomiting is the big sign to watch for. If everything else is going well, then it doesn’t seem to be an issue.
She hasn't vomited but what time scale are we talking about?

More than likely if a problem is to arise from this, it would be in the next couple days. She may have a little loose stool from this as this isn't something she normally eats, but that most likely is transient.

Ok someone will keep an eye on her ...shes stretched out chewing on a toy so seems OK, fingers crossed she will not be adversely affected, it was a large rabbit! Thankyou for your help Dr Bruce

Absolutely no problem. She was doing what is natural for any dog. I hope she does as well as most do!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian