Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We noticed about 2pm yesterday that our dog was acting

We noticed about 2pm...

We noticed about 2pm yesterday that our dog was acting funny. Kept stretching out and can’t seem to get comfortable. We recently had a toddler at our house for the weekend and am not sure if the stress caused something.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

You We noticed about 2pm yesterday that our dog was acting funny. Kept stretching out and can’t seem to get comfortable. We recently had a toddler at our house for the weekend and am not sure if the stress caused something.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Her stomach. She seems to like it stretched or rubbed

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Dizzy and she is about three

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dizzy?

She just had her vaccinations on Thursday night

11/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I see Dizzy is stretching out her stomach region. Any posturing where she is putting her bum in the air and her front half lower?

Is the area distended or sore if you press firmly?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

She has been stretching all over sometimes with her butt in air sometimes just flat. She doesn’t cry or seem bothered when I press on her stomach. Her gums are pink seems normal. Don’t think she has eaten anything bad no diarrhea or other systems we notice. But she will randomly wimped and get very uncomofortavle

Hello again,

Poor wee Dizzy. Now this stretching is a feature we often see with abdominal pain (even if they aren't crying). Common causes for this in a dog her age includes pancreatitis, ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, non-edible items), a stomach ulcer, or severe gastritis. With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her. For gastritis and to reduce any nausea, we can try treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and will help with mild pancreatitis. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Otherwise, if we cannot get her settled or she seems very uncomfortable (or we saw paling of the gums), then we'd want her to see her local vet. They can assess her, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister infectious agents present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable gut safe pain relief, anti-nausea medication +/- gastroprotectants to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Do you think she will be okay to make it another 4 hours if we don’t give her medicine till the vet opens? She just seems so restless

Hi again,

If she is very sore/unsettled, its not ideal to delay if we don't have to. But if she has pink gums and no abdominal distension (just so we can rule out bloat), you can monitor her closely until her vet is open. Of course, any change in her signs for the worse and we'd want her seen sooner.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Her stomach doesn’t seem bloated and she doesn’t seem to mind me pressing on it. We have a doggy door but no one has seen her use the restroom lately.

Hi again,

Good, I am glad those aren't issues and in that case, do just monitor until you can get her seen by her vet.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Thank you for your help!

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a peaceful evening,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.