Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

We got both of our cats Sasha and Autumn from a family with

children. Their history is a...
We got both of our cats Sasha and Autumn from a family with children. Their history is a bit sketchy as we were told that Sasha gave birth to Autumn after "she" returned to them from an escape. However, we discovered that Sasha was actually a male. Sasha and Autumn got along pretty well, at least Autumn tolerated Sasha. We got another cat a year or two later and started to have problems with Autumn marking the carpets. We didn't discover which cat was marking until after we got our fourth cat and my sister and her cat and my niece and her six cats lived with us for 8 months. (these living circumstances, though not ideal, were necessary). Those eight months were difficult for autumn being more of a recluse. Our vet put her on Prozac and we no longer have our guests living here. We are no longer having a problem with marking. Since then, we have lost Sasha and our other male cat shadow. We had a border for a little over a year. But let me back up. Since my niece moved in, Autumn had chosen our second
bedroom as a place of Refuge. When we acquired another border, Autumn still wanted to be in that room and that was no problem with our border or with us. However, her room was a dangerous place for cats - she left things like her diabetes needles in open containers and dropped meds and did not pick them up. So we didn't allow her to go in that room. She still hides a great deal of the time. When I was giving her Prozac at dinner time, she was sweet and loving in the early morning and took to hiding the rest of the day. When I began giving her the Prozac in the morning, she began hiding less and socializing with us more. She sometimes still likes to go hide but we need to give her her medication, now also on thyroid meds. In the times when she's hiding, my husband will get her as I cannot carry her due to my disability. My husband is not able to bring her for her morning meal because he is working at that time. Sometimes I just try to wait until she shows up. But this is a cat who would do fine on one meal a day. Thyroid medication being needed twice a day. All of that as a background for a simple question: should I try to get her to the main floor to eat and take her meds or should I take them to her? As I said I cannot carry her but I could and sometimes do entice her with treats or a trip to our enclosed porch which she enjoys. When that doesn't work, I kind of shoo her to where I want her to go. I don't like the option of taking the food to her because she would just eat and stay where she is. Once she comes to the main floor, she seems to enjoy being here. She lays contentedly in the sun, watches squirrels and birds and plays with me (until Pepper tries to join in.)
When she hides, it is usually in the basement on top of some plastic totes or upstairs in a closet. (We have not yet opened the door to 'her room" because we need to do serious cleaning after our border and will need to get the carpet cleaned - I just don't want them in there.
In the evenings when she has taken her medicine we open the doors to the upstairs and the basement. She socialized with us, plays, goes to the porch and once we have gone to bed, she will go to the basement or upstairs to spend the night and will sometimes come to the main floor while my husband has his breakfast and he closes the doors until I get up to feed them. I had to ask him to stop giving food to her in the morning because then she does not take her medicine. ( I have to vary the ways that I give her her meds - hidden in a treat - because she no longer will take pill pockets, dissolving in water and giving them in her food, or combination of both. Using a pill gun was a disaster, and I was used to using it with my boys.) Please excuse my verbosity. I want to do what is best for her. Thank you.
11/14/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, you have a long history and are managing many thing for Autumn and you! I'm just taking a moment to make sure I'm understanding everything.

So I may have an easy solution for you - of course it would be best to double check with your regular vet, but 99% of my feline patients take their thyroid medication just once a day and seem to do very well.

Often when we are first starting meds, we will do twice a day to get them regulated faster. But once we find a good dose where the thyroid is controlled, it typically does not seem to make a big difference giving a bigger dose once a day versus dividing into 2 doses.

If you'd rather keep things as they are for her dosing, it doesn't sound like it is overly stressful to coax her up with a treat, or 'shoo' her occasionally as it sounds like she probably is getting more mental enrichment when we can get her to come upstairs.

Does that help?

Very cute pic, I love when they curl up into that pike position!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
While you were answering, I was answering also . It's getting late for me did you answer all of my questions previously? I will find out. Asking her vet that is) do you think that I should leave some food out for her, giving her one meal with her meds and leaving a snack for her? Do you see anything wrong with getting her and bring her to the first floor so that my husband would have some time with her in the evenings? He she is "his girl"
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In that picture, I was giving up my seat to give her some food- with meds of course. Then she went to sleep.

I don't think there is anything wrong with dad instigating some 'daddy time'. We have 2 daddies girls at my house.

One other option to consider, thyroid medication can be compounded into a transdermal cream that can be rubbed into their ear and get absorbed through the skin. They usually don't mind having their ears rubbed, and that form is also flexible for using once or twice a day, if that would take away some of the food stress and treat/pill hiding issue for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks I'll look into

I think I got all of your questions, if not don't be shy to ask. Also late for me as well, I should be back on again tomorrow if you do have more questions.

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian