Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have 4 10 week old kittens from a barn cat. They all have…

Customer Question
I have 4 10 week...
I have 4 10 week old kittens from a barn cat. They all have goopy crusty eyes. Any info?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Veterinary
11/14/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if these kittens have goopy crusty eyes, we are likely looking at cat flu here. Often herpes virus, calicivirus, Mycoplasma, or Chlamydia will cause this in kittens (and mum usually is the carrier who has spread it to them). With regards ***** ***** you can start supportive care but we need to tread with care as they are so delicate at this age. With regards ***** ***** start by flushing their eyes with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. Do this 2-3 times daily. As well, you can look for OTC Terramycin eye drops at the local farm supply shop. Otherwise, we'd want the local vet to dispense antibiotic eye drops. If you do have them seen, the vet can check for systemic involvement (spreading to the lungs/airway) as they may need an oral antibiotic to clear this. Of course, they can test for all of the above and if one of the viruses is also detected, then antivirals may be indicated to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**