Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My cat suddenly (over a two week period) has gotten a fat

My cat suddenly (over...
My cat suddenly (over a two week period) has gotten a fat belly. But the rest of him is the same size
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Romeo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Romeo?
Customer: He is happily eating treats and wet food but doesn't want the dry food anymore
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
He is just as affectionate as always, and has no problem with me touching or even pressing on his tummy
11/13/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

How old is Romeo? Is he inside all the time or does he spend some time outdoors?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I am not 100% sure of his age. He was a rescue. They though he was about 5 and I've now had him for almost 5 years. He does not go outside at all. He was visiting at my parents house for 2 week (still only in doors) and my dad changed his wet food ..... because he has always been a "barfy" (yet healthy) cat. He is no longer barfing at all.... but has a round belly after only 2 weeks

So I think those are all good signs that he is being affectionate, and doesn't seem painful for having his tummy pressed on.

Sometimes things can change with their hormones as they get older and they can have more tummy sag, though I wouldn't say they get rounder/fuller unless they are gaining weight. They change in food could be some part of it - wet food is most similar to their diet in the wild and for boys especially the extra water in it is very good for their urinary tract. But most cats feel full before they will overdo it on calories, so I'd be surprised if he gained a ton of weight in 2 weeks.

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
that's what I thought too. I tried to not give him the wet food for a couple of days.... but he's now refusing the dry food altogether..... with the exception of treats

Wet food is ok, they can be stubborn if they decide they like or don't like something-

I don't think this is an emergency situation, but if it getting progressively rounder, or if he shows any signs of not feeling well, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him checked in person. Sometimes they can develop round bellies due to retaining fluid, which can be secondary to heart or liver problems, GI disease, or potentially some cancers.

Hopefully it isn't anything as serious as that, and I think you could watch him for a bit, and crack open the wet food :)

Does that help?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I'm terribly attached to him and will take him to the vet if need be.... but he seems quite content..... (happily purring beside me now) so I'm conflicted. Thanks for the help. I will watch him closely this week and take him to be checked if he seems to have changed.

I think that is a good plan - if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian