Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

My dog is shaking, has been vomiting for days, and is now

pooping pure blood. We already...
My dog is shaking, has been vomiting for days, and is now pooping pure blood. We already have him on a bland diet and medicine from the vet. Now that we are seeing blood should we go to an er
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No he did not. We have him currently taking metronidazole and cerenia.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gizmo and he is 13
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gizmo?
Customer: We have seen the vet twice regarding vomiting and he has been doing this for two weeks and this last week it has gotten worse and now tonight blood with white puss like stuff and it’s kind of clumpy
11/13/2017
dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Ok thank you

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset that has been progressive the past week. The new symptom of blood in the stool is progression from stomach upset to now also including signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). This can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

Typically I would advise a bland diet and waiting 12 hours to feed but with Gizmo already on medication for the vomiting and antibiotics it worries me there is something more serious ongoing that requires more urgent care. Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Even though Gizmo may not be showing these other symptoms again the progression despite treatment is my primary concern and I would consider the veterinary er visit. Bringing any receipts and medications with you so they can see what has already been performed

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Do you think I should wait the 2-4hrs and then go or go now?
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
If this continues.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Or do I give him his medicine and bland food and wait until tomorrow to see the vet?

You can wait a few hours and if it continues yes please consider the veterinary er tonight. Again the progression of symptoms is my biggest concern despite medication. I would not advise waiting until tomorrow if there is no change in the next few hours

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Ok, thank you very much!

You are very welcome, best wishes to you both tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u, Veterinarian
dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u
dogdoc4u, Veterinarian