Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a 7 year old mailteze shyzu x who has had a cist on…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have a 7 year old mailteze shyzu x who has had a cist on her back just down about 10cm from her neck.it has been there for years and has caused her no problems until last night when for some reason has opened up and is oozing and causing her some discomfort.can you advise please.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What sort of animal are we talking about?

7 year old malteze shyzu

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the Maltese's name?

Lady

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lady?

Yes she has had a cyst on her back for years with no problems until now it has started to ooz and is causing her some discomfort.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she licking or scratching it?

Friend, it is common for a skin cyst to become irritated or infected and rupture. When they begin to cause problems the best option is to have them removed surgically by your veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick or scratch the cyst. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the cyst 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian