Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Throwing up clear liquid. Yesterday morning she was running…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Throwing up...

Second opinion] Throwing up clear liquid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Yesterday morning she was running around playing and later on that day when we got home we noticed she wasn�t being her self everything she ate or drank she threw it up

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** just turned 3 months yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lala?

No that�s it

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Veterinary
11/10/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Lala. Is she 3 months old? How long have you had her? She started vomiting how long ago? When was her last vomit?

She is 3 months old I’ve had her since she was 6 weeks old her last vomit was 2 hours ago and she started vomiting yesterday
Night

Thank you for that information. When I have a 3 month old dog come into my clinic with a 24 hour history of vomiting, I get more concerned with a viral infection (parvo) or a foreign body as the top things to rule out. At 3 months of age, she's very much in the age category that their immune system can be susceptible to a parvo virus infection. They are also very curious and like to chew on lot of things that may cause a blockage. I'm going to be honest and say that the very first thing I'd recommend here is a trip to your vet's office to have a parvo virus test ran to see what that shows.

Can you give me a price on how much that would be I had a dog a while back with parvo but I gave her penicillin shot and she came back is there anything I can do ???
Her gums are pink

If there was a previous dog that had parvo, it may be in the immediate environment and this one could have been exposed to it. At my clinic, the parvo test runs around $45 on top of the office and exam fee of $75. Parvo virus infection is something that affects different dogs differently. Some can come through infections with it with next to no care. Some will die with every single step taken to try and get them through it - hospitalization with IV fluids, anti-nausea medication, etc.. To be honest, antibiotics aren't the big part of therapy for parvo cases. Hydration is the huge thing.

I don’t have the money and I don’t want her to die ��

The best thing you can do at home is to keep her in a quiet area where she can rest and to not be overly stimulated. You can offer her small amounts of water and some bland food every 3-4 hours to try and get something into her stomach for hydration and nutrition. Some can pull through it like your last dog did. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees with parvo though as it can be a fatal situation. Could it be something else? Some can have gastritis situations where they just eat something that upsets the stomach, but it typically doesn't last over 24 hours.

Her poop yesterday looked normal she hasn’t pooped since cause she hasn’t ate

That is good that her stools looked normal yesterday. The classic parvo stools are very runny and sometimes bloody. She hasn't defecated as there really isn't anything to have passed. No food out means no stools out.

We give her food but she just smells it and walks away she drinks the water then couple hours later throws it up

Her stomach is still very upset. All you can do is to continue to offer the food and water.

I am hoping for the best for her. Please let me know what questions I didn't cover well enough.

I'm concerned about Lala. How is she doing at this time?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian