Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog takes metacam for his arthritis. He is tested every…

My dog takes metacam...

My dog takes metacam for his arthritis. He is tested every 6months and is tolerating it very well. Recently he developed a fibromatosis tumor and it is very aggressive. Late last week he started showing signs of pain so I used gave him some tramadol I had on hand for just this reason and set an appointment with the vet for Tuesday. Unfortunately I didn't count right and I'm out of tramadol and he is having a lot of pain. Can I give him an evening dose of the metacam to help him sleep? Normally he gets the metacam in the morning only.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No he is actually quite healthy, the metacam is for some arthritis. And has worked wonders. Thanks

10/8/2017
Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'm so sorry to hear your dog isn't doing well. Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend giving additional metacam as this could cause kidney damage, liver damage, or intestinal ulcers. Metacam can only be given safely once a day because it has a longer half life. The effects will decrease over 24 hours, but it still should be providing at least some pain relief. If there is a specific area that is painful, you can try cold compresses for 5-10 minutes to help with local inflammation. However, this won't help if he has whole body pain. If his pain is not well controlled, you can consider utilizing your local emergency clinic. Your regular veterinary clinic should have information on their voicemail system if they're not open after hours to direct you to the nearest resource. Please let me know if I can assist further. Thanks.

Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Ok thank you.... I am glad I asked. We will see how tonight goes. I know where my local 24hr vet is if needed. Thanks again have a nice night.

You as well. I'm sure it is a very stressful and difficult seeing your dog not feeling well, so I hope he is feeling better soon. Best of luck with your pup and these medical issues.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jill