Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

My primary question concerns changes in behavior which

My primary question concerns changes in behavior which include pacing and what seems to be frustration at night, including whining.Mikos is a 17-year-old Chihuahua mix and has been in relatively good health for his age, until the onset of these new symptoms, which started about 4-5 days ago. I try not to bring him in for examination due to his age, unless really necessary due to the relative trauma for him to do so.Other symptoms/issues include loss of muscle strength and his legs sliding while stationary or walking slowly throughout the house. Perhaps this is related to the aging process? He also has nearly fully developed cataracts and his vision, undoubtedly, is very limited well his hearing is non-existent. I figure that is to be expected but he does run into furniture a bit at times throughout the day on an increasing basis. He seems to use memory for his pathway most of the time, so I ask the family to keep the pathways clear of obstacles for that reason. There is also generalized confusion from time to time and he may have the onset of dementia by this point. Finally, he seems to be eating less than usual and is more picky than usual.He does not appear to be in acute distress or pain as far as I can tell. The whining and whimpering is only at night and is accompanied by pacing, which can be somewhat frantic in nature. This can go on for as long as 2-3 hours.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I can look now
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?
Customer: no nothing on the feet too

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns regarding Mikos.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
thank you

Mikos sounds like a very sweet older boy who has his share of challenges.

It sounds like he has multiple geriatric conditions: blindness from cataracts, and muscle atrophy/weakness.

The recent onset of pacing/whining/whimpering are all very consistent with Canine Senile Disorder (or canine dementia).

Dogs with this disorder typically present with a combination of the following symptoms:

D - Disorientation: wandering/pacing, found in rooms they are not usually in

I - Interaction: Interacting with family more or less (hiding or clingy)

S- Sleep Patterns Change: pacing at night and sleeping during the day

H - Housebreaking: accidents in the home as they start to forget the difference between the inside and outside.