Dr. Jill
Dr. Jill, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years of veterinary experience
25745582

My cat came in with little burrs all over him. I have gotten

Hi! My cat came in with little burrs all over him. I have gotten allot of them off him; but he was getting antsy & I let him get down. Now, he's licking himself. Will it hurt him if he swallows some burrs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Einstein, 6 yrs, neutered male, 12 lbs.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Einstein?
Customer: I can't think of anything

Hi, I'm Dr. Jill. I'd be happy to help you with your question. Burrs can definitely be frustrating to get out of a cats fur. As long as they're the small round variety, any swallowed ones will most likely pass through Einstein's intestinal system without an issue. I wouldn't be concerned about Einstein eating a few regular burrs. Foxtails on the other hand can become lodged in a variety of places and cause more issues, so if there are foxtails still stuck in Einstein's fur, I would give him a break for a bit and then spend more time trying to get those out.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jill