Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My budgie has over the last week started drinking copious…

My budgie has over...

My budgie has over the last week started drinking copious amounts of water and passing water. Her droppings are black with very little white in them. She has stopped eating her cuttlefish has this anything to do with the problem? She is still talking and playing with her little bell. Sleeping quite a bit. Thank you. Elizabeth Schop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Joey and she is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joey?

3 weeks ago she was streated with Baytril for what appeared to be a chest infection. She had a sort o clicking sound when she flew.

10/3/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Elizabeth, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are quite a few concerns when a budgie becomes polydipsic (increased thirst) and polyuric (increased volume of urine. These include renal disease, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, hepatic disease, pancreatic disease, Cushing's disease (hypercortisolism), heavy metal toxicosis, "phosphate flush" due to an all-seed diet, and pituitary adenoma (a brain tumor). She's going to need her avian vet (www.aav.org) again to perform basic blood and urine tests in an attempt to clairif the cause of her symptoms. They're not related to her cuttlefish.

Nutritional imbalances are a common problem in our pet birds. What has her diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium, e.g., from her cuttlefish), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin.  Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here:  www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here:  www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dear Dr Salkin
Thank you for getting back to me. I do give her a varied diet and she is still eating very well but as her faeces is now a pale brown colour I am taking her to the Veterinarian today. She does get varied seeds and loves broccoli. She tosses most of the other foods on the floor of her cage. Thank you again.Regards
Elizabeth

You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear that Joey will be attended to shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian