Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
98574077

My daughters roommate brought a cat into the apartment with

My daughters roommate brought a cat into the apartment with fleas. It looks like my daughter's rabbit may now have fleas. How is the best way to treat her rabbit safely.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Kingsley and about 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kingsley?
Customer: no

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

Disclaimer: This communication is for discussion purposes only. Without seeing an animal in person, a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship does not exist, and therefore I am unable to diagnose, prognose, or treat. Any comments made during discussion here are based on the information provided and are simply my thoughts regarding what I’d be considering were this type of case presented to me in person. The BEST recommendation for ANY veterinary-related concern is to seek veterinary assessment in person with your local veterinarian.

If you have a flea comb, you can use this to comb out the fleas and then kill them by submerging them in warm soapy water or alcohol. Consider having the area the rabbit stays in treated. If it is a severe enough infestation, consider taking Kingsley in to you local vet to get a prescription topical flea product that is safe for rabbits. Advantage, Revolution, and Program have been used. Your vet will want to weight Kingsley to prescribe an appropriate dosage for these prescription flea products. I'd suggest bringing the cat in as well and getting the cat on revolution at the same time. Do NOT use Frontline or Sentinel on Kingsley.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. I will have her take it to the vet. Can you tell me what is safe to treat the apartment with?

You're very welcome. I was on another phone call when you put in a request for a phone call, did you get your additional questions answered via phone? I would suggest having the apartment treated professionally and notify them of the animals in the home so they can use an appropriate product / protocol to be as safe as possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Samuel Peck
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
you and the other vet were very helpful. My daughter. Was able to get her rabbit into the vet today and has ordered the appropriate medicine. We will get the rabbit clean and thenbring it home so that her and her other roommates can effectively treat the apartment.

Great, thanks for following up!

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you again. I have done your rating as asked and marked you as a favorite.

Much appreciated! Thanks!