Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My husband ran over our 9 month old red healer with front…

My husband ran over...

My husband ran over our 9 month old red healer with front tire of tractor, Friday. Bruiser is still alive and is actually walking so.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry * didn't get to finish..I hit send .. A dog 9 months old. He is wAlking some but is still extremely sore in back right leg and hip. I felt of ething And no obvious breaks were found. Could not get him into our vet and there is no animal ER close by . we live in a rural area. I am a people nurse..but nit sure what do do for my dog. He is eating and drinking and sits up and perks up when we go out to check on him. He zits up on front end. Any suggestions. Hate to see him in pain Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Um087h

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Yes my dog

9/24/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Bruiser.

How much does he weigh?

Do you have access to drugs such as Tramadol?

Thanks, Deb

Not sure on weight, maybe 30lbs. No I don't have access to tramadol.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

It sounds as if he was an extremely lucky dog to be alive!

Hopefully, he's just bruised and really sore in which case there are a few otc options which may help with inflammation and pain:

1. Aspirin at a dose of 5-10 mgs per pound of body weight which would calculate out to be 1/2-1 of the 325 mg (full strength) tablets twice a day for a dog this size

OR

2. Tylenol (Acetaminophen) at a dose of 5-7 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day which would be 1/2-1 of the 325 mg size tablets twice a day. Take care if you have cats that they don't have access since it can kill them.

Give with food to avoid stomach upset.

Avoid Ibuprofen since there's such a narrow margin of safety.

It might also be helpful to apply a cool compress for 24 hours and then a warm one after (since it will 72 hours post-incident). Just be sure to wrap them in a towel of something similar since direct contact can affect the skin.

I hope this helps, Deb

Just talked to my mom and she has Tamadol HCL 50mg tabs. Could that possibly work

Tramadol can be an effective anti-pain medication for dogs. So, while it would be illegal for me to suggest the use of a drug which was prescribed for another patient (human or otherwise), I can provide the dosage information.

Give me just a minute to do the math. Deb

The dose of Tramadol for a 30 pound dog would be 50 mg three times a day although it can be increased to about 150 mg three times a day, if necessary (I always start at the lower end of the dosage range, though).

Tramadol appears to be well tolerated in dogs. Potentially, it could cause a variety of adverse effects associated with its pharmacologic actions, including: excessive sedation, agitation, anxiety, tremor, dizziness or GI effects (inappetence, vomiting, constipation to diarrhea).

I'll also quote from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook: Use with caution in conjunction with other drugs that can cause CNS or respiratory depression. Because tramadol has caused seizures in humans, it should be used with caution in animals with preexisting seizure disorders or receiving other drugs that may reduce the seizure threshold. Like other opiate-like compounds, tramadol should be used with caution in geriatric or severely debilitated animals. Patients with impaired renal or hepatic function may need dosage adjustments.

And, Tramadol can be used with nsaid's in case you were wondering.

Deb

Thank you so much. You were very helpful and helped with my question. Just hate to see him in pain. Bless you and have a great day.

You're more than welcome.

I know how difficult it must be for you to see him so uncomfortable but, hopefully, he'll be feeling a little better with medication on board.

Best of luck with him, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian