Heather Stout
Heather Stout,
Experience:  Head Veterinary Technician at Greater Birmingham Humane Society
99203287

My GCC penched his foot last night and is now keeping it

my GCC penched his foot last night and is now keeping it tucked up. he can still crawl around though with a slight limp. He is still climing his cage, but i can see that he isnt bending the last joint on his front claw.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: ^pinched there isn't a wound though it looks a tad puffy
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Hiro. maybe 4/5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hiro?
Customer: not really

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a Just Answer Expert. I'm sorry to hear about Hiro! How did he pinch his toe? I'm sure it's hard for you to see your pretty baby bird in pain, but it doesn't seem like a long-term injury. The bit of swelling could be from the scales getting irritated from being pinched, or Hiro's toe could be sprained or broken. Unless it starts getting very largely swollen, turns colors, or starts oozing fluid then the best thing to do is to keep Hiro quiet and calm for a few days. Keeping Hiro from moving around will help the toe heal itself. If in three to five days you haven't seen any improvement, you could take Hiro to see a veterinarian where x-rays could be done, and pain medication could be prescribed. Because birds are so small and special, you can not use any OTC medications to help Hiro feel better. Even liquid medications for baby humans are toxic to birds. Hiro might be a bit grumpy with you for being put on "bed-rest", but it's the best way to help heal. Try to move all food and water as close as possible in his cage to limit Hiro's movement. If Hiro absolutely cannot stand to be away from you and throes tantrums in the cage, then letting him out would be fine, as long as he doesn't use the foot much. Rest is key!

Let me know if you have any questions! I'd be happy to help. And if you wouldn't mind, please go to the top of your page and rate me. It's the only way I get to keep answering questions!