Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My guinea pig is making really heavy breathing sounds. it…

Customer Question
Hi, my guinea pig...

Hi, my guinea pig is making really heavy breathing sounds. it sounds like wheezing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your guinea pig?

He breathing seems to be very labored. He is wheezing. This has been going on for a few days and I thought that it would clear up but it seems to be getting worse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Abe , maybe two years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abe?

He is a very happy guinea pig. Loves to cuddle. and he seems extra clingy.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Veterinary
9/19/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Abe. Regretfully, bacterial pneumonia is one of the most important diseases of guinea pigs. Regardless of the etiologic agent, the general progression of clinical signs is as follows: ocular/nasal discharge, dyspnea (difficulty breathing), increased respiratory sounds, sneezing, coughing, depression, anorexia, weight loss, and unthrifty appearance. Systemic antibiotic therapy should be based on bacterial culture and sensitivity testing and supportive care (fluid and nutritional support) should be instituted.

The most common etiologic agents are Bordetella bronchiseptica, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptobacillus moniliformis, and Haemophilus species. I would consider having your vet treat with the broad spectrum and potent antibiotic enrofloxacin dosed at 2.3-9 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. Bactrim dosed at 6.8-13.6 mg per pound of body weight twice daily is a reasonable alternative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Can I get this medicine at a local pharmacy or call it in to a vet because unfortunately I am unable to get to a vet until the weekend.

Regretfully, no. It needs to be prescribed by an attending vet. We're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Mea culpa. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Actually, I really do appreciate your help however I thought that you might be able to save me a trip to the vet. It cost me money for you to tell me to go to the vet. This was a waste of my money.

I understand. Please contact customer service here if you want your deposit refunded: ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

You don't need to leave a rating or return to this conversation.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian