Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My cat is 18.40lb now, and he is two years old. The vet said

Customer Question

Hi there, my cat is 18.40lb now, and he is two years old. The vet said he need to lose weight, and I don't have a specific plan for him. (Some times I feed him less, but the vet still said his weight was growing up) He usually eats dry food (Mewo Mix), and I feed him three times a day, it's about 1 cup more a day, some times would be more. So, can I know how much should I feed him a day or each meal depend on his weight? Is wet food better to lose weight rather than dry food? Thank you so much!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

so....first off the most important thing is that you really need a prescription diet in order to get your cat to lose weight....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

.....this is because commercial foods have lots of calories and once cats get as overweight as your cat is their body does not burn fat as well.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I like science diet metabolic food for cats and your vet can get this....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I would recommend this food to be feed at 1/2 cup total per day and you can divide it up any way you need to......

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

your cat will slowly lose weight this way and keep it off.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

otherwise.......

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

I have not seen cats lose weight any other way....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

And I have been helping cats lose wetght for 27 years.....and I hope this helps you...Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have any other questions please rate me as this is how I make money to support my family. Please give me a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. A positive rating will not close this question and I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions that you have. ( You can rate me at top right of page).

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB