Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Sudden pacing in a five pound 12 oz shi poo will be 2

Sudden pacing in a five pound 12 oz shi poo will be 2 November 15th
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the ounce's name?
Customer: Sebastian
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sebastian?
Customer: So he has never paced or exibeted anxiety before

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sebastian. Would you classify his pacing as aimless? Are you seeing circling, wall hugging, being trapped in corners? Does he appear visual? Does he respond to you? Can you stop the pacing? Does his mental status appear altered?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Circling stops when picked up but jumps down goes back to it, looking all around mental status same he potties on pads and has not for an hour
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He does eat/drink

Thank you. You've described the aimless wandering and disorientation of an encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving Sebastian's forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Both intracranial (within the skull) brain disorders such as brain tumor (unlikely at his age) and extracranial (outside the skull) brain disorders such as a poorly functioning liver that is intoxicating his brain (hepatoencephalopathy/important in a miniature breed such as he) or poorly functioning kidneys (uremic encephalopathy) need to be considered. Intoxication by ingesting a prescription or recreational drug might have occurred. Do you think that's likely?

If not, Sebastian'svet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on Sebastian including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in the hope of finding an extracranial disorder that might be treated in a conservative manner. Intracranial disorders such as brain tumor can only be confirmed by MRI.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My dog was given a check up less than 2 weeks ago. I have been quite ill the last 3-4 weeks so there were changes in the environment. He is attatched to both of us.We also have a standard poodle, shithu,and maltipoo heavy on the poodle side. Two of them have ear infections. He has stopped pacing and just looking all around his area. I will get him back to his regular vet am tomorrow or is it needed to take to emergency whom we really have no confidence in at all?

An ER visit isn't necessary unless his wandering returned and didn't abate shortly thereafter. If he didn't ingest a toxin, hepatoencephalopathy due to an anatomical vascular anomaly related to his liver (portosystemic shunt, microvascular dysplasia) becomes an important consideration. Any diagnostics should include serum bile acid testing which tells me how well his liver is functioning. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.