Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I am really upset, my little pomerian he is 9 years old and…

I am really upset ...

I am really upset

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

My little pomerian he is 9 years old and lately he has been panting a lot and put on weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the animal?

He has been panting a lot and gained weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the animal seem to hurt?

Doesn't seem to hurt they did blood work on him and found his liver count is really high 1000 last time he had blood work it was 613

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the's name?

Little

9/15/2017
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Do you know which specific liver value was elevated? Was it the ALKP or alkaline phosphatase? Any changes with urination?

no changes in urination
they did the cushings dease test and it was negative
the blood work today was the alkaline phosphatase ... I THINK
he has been on denamarin tabs for 3 months to try and bring his liver count down
now they want to do an ultra sound which is a lot of money
I just don't know if we are fishing to find something or what to do... it has been very expensive and we are not getting any answers
his belly is puffy... and he does sleep a lot
but he is almost 9 years and doesn't get much exercise

Okay thanks for the addtional information. How long ago did they do the Cushing's test? It can be common for older dogs to have an increase in ALKP and the most common cause for this is Cushing's disease. In some dogs it can be challenging to diagnose this condition and sometimes it takes a couple of repeat tests before getting a confirmation of the condition. Do you know if they did the ACTH stim test or the Low Dexamethasone Suppression test to check for Cushing's disease. Any x-rays?

they took x-rays... and we couldn't tell if the liver was enlarged or the heart was enlarged it was very crowded in that area but they thought the liver was enlarged
dex3 dex suppression was the test - 4/7/17
SA504 desert disease profile w / t4
doxycycline tabs - 3/17/17
I scanned his bloodwork
it is attached

Okay since the values are continuing to increase despite the Denamarin that definitely indicates something is going on. The next best thing as far as diagnostics would probably be the ultrasound. That would at least rule out if there is anything abnormal with the adrenal glands. Other wise you can request a different test for the Cushing's such as the ACTH stim to see if you note any different results. Those may hopefully get you closer to a definitive answer.

thank you for your help...
is there anything I should be doing to help... diet or?
I set up the ultra sound ...but it is 2 weeks away
he seems in fine spirits and is his normal self...

You are welcome. Many dogs can seem fine if it is Cushing's because it is a very slow progressing disease. I rarely seen dogs have major issues with it since it progresses so slowly. As far as helping. I would just continue with the supplements. You may have to limit his activity some what since he is panting so much because he may not be able to take in as much air.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne
THANK YOU
you have been so good with your information and concern... I sincerely ***** *****
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne