Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

Our parrot is panting, droppings are water, she is throwing

our parrot is panting, droppings are water, she is throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the bird eat anything unusual?
Customer: yes, we were eating a vegetarian dish, she had a piec of it
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: we also had a fire going, but took her to another room
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: Jacko, she is 14 or 15. we adopted her 5 years ago nothing else

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Jacko has watery diarrhea and is vomiting and panting. One of the possible causes for this condition is a sudden change of food, stress, or anxiety. I was curious how much of the vegetarian dish did he have, or has he had any other recent food changes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was a mycoprotein (quorn). but because of the fire couldn't it be co2 poisoning?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we are in Belgium...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't think calling is an option
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she had a small piece, is someone still there? She is still panting. diarrhea and vomiting stopped.

No worries. The phone call is automatically offered by the website. I can answer your question with text only. I am typing my response now.

I would not expect this to be a stomach upset if you had her in a different room and not near the fire. However, respiratory distress is observed with airborne poisons, so it is possible this was the underlying cause, which resulted in distress and subsequent diarrhea and vomiting. Other causes of watery feces besides the ones I mentioned are bacterial overgrowth, parasites (i.e. coccidia) and bacterial liver infection. There are a couple of things you can do to help support Jacko's immune system right away. Elevating his environmental temperature to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit and his humidity to approximately 85% will help support the immune function and decrease the risk of secondary infection. Make sure to increase the heat with a heat bulb and not with a space heater. Humidity can be increased by using a humidifier or gently misting Jacko with a spray bottle.

Since he is breathing rapidly then this puts him in an emergency situation and should be seen by a veterinarian. If it was just the diarrhea or vomiting then you could treat by other supportive measures such as adding apple cider vinegar to the water and yogurt with probiotics.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, we called our vet. Thanks!

You are most welcome. Best of luck to you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry