Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My dog damaged her suprascapular nerve when she had a run in…

My dog damaged her suprascapular...
My dog damaged her suprascapular nerve when she had a run in (literally) with a tree about 9 months ago. The condition she has is known as sweeney in that she had atrophy of the supraspinatus and in- fraspinatus muscles. She has physio, water treadmill and hydrotherapy which helps with her gait correction and still leads a very active life without evidence of any pain, although our promising agility career has been cut short. My question is, if the nerve does ever repair itself would we ever see muscle mass again or after a certain amount of time does the muscle disappear and can never come back? I appreciate there may be many unknowns to her recovery but I do remain hopeful that one day she may recover, or is this just not possible? She is a 2 1/2 year old collie. Thanks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Mae was injured. It sounds like she is going through the appropriate physical therapy to regain function.

As seen in horses with Sweeny, the prognosis to regain her muscle mass is very poor. Once the muscles are atrophied they are, unfortunately, not likely to gain their previous size and strength.

Dogs with this condition can live happy, active pet lives but the likelihood of a demanding agility lifestyle in, sadly unlikely.

Again, my condolences on her injury.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian
Hi Alice,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mae. How is everything going?
Denise Cudiamat