Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My 3 year old sadie last night started acting weird she

My 3 year old sadie last night started acting weird she can't sit still and almost acting delusional she gets weird like this every 6 months so we were thinking that was the issue but it'd a hundred times worse this time

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Can you describe her signs to me a little more?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I say delusional she's sitting at the edge of the bed and she can't sit still she's moving constantly moving her head back and forth moving her legs and she staring at the wall like two inches from it and kind of jerking her head back and forth a little bit

I`m afraid I am unable to offer a live phone call from the UK, but I am happy to continue here. if you would prefer, I can opt out and one of the other vets may be able to offer this service?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No need for a call that was an accident if you can just please help me with this

Has she had any history of seizures?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She always gets a little weird when she is going into heat and why would I mean kind of acting like I'm explaining this is just a hundred times worse and something not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry if that didn't make any sense I'm just talking to my phone anyways when she goes in the heat she always asks a little weird this time she's a lot worse and she's not wanting to eat anything not even a treat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No history of seizures

When was she last in heat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Six months ago so it's about that time

Does she seem well in herself otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
other than the delusion and acting like she cannot sit still at all she's very healthy dog she wants to be happy she's trying to wag her tail but she just can't get comfortable
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She hasn't slept all night

Does she scoot her butt along the ground?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No she dosent

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No no vomiting or diarrhea

Has she been straining to urinate? Any changes in her thirst?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since last night she hasn't eaten or drank anything but that was late last night she finally ate her breakfast around 5 last night and she has not urinated since last night
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My husband's taking her outside right now to see if maybe she'll go potty

Ok, the signs you are describing are quite vague.

The vacant staring episdoes, along with the restlessness, can be pre-ictal signs, which may indicate a partial seizure. Not a full epileptic seizure but a milder form. This can be an indicator of an underlying neurological problem. In epileptic patients, females can often be more likely to have a seizure around the time of heat, and this pattern would certainly fit with the signs you are describing.

In some instances a urinary tract infection can be associated with neurological signs, hence I was asking about her thirst and urination.

Diabetes, an uncontrolled blood sugar level can also be associated with vacant, restless episodes, so this would be something to exclude.

The restlessness can be a sign of discomfort, so changes in the way she walks or reluctance to jump up, poor balance etc could be indicators of back pain.

There are many possibilities here, and I feel only a thorough clinical exam will be able to rule many of these things in or out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They just got back they went for a tiny little walk together she was staying real close to him when normally she's running my crazy but it's like she's anxious really really a lot of anxiety extreme anxiety and as soon as he asked her if she wanted to go home she took off for home he did not see her urinate

It does sound like she is stressed, potentially if she is feeling the hormonal changes associated with imminent heat.

There is a dog pheromone product available called adaptil, which can be useful in cases of anxiety to help relax dogs. It is available as a plug in diffuser oras an impregnated collar which may be beneficial for Sadie.

There is also a supplement (a milk protein extract called zylkene which is available over the counter. It works by promoting a feeling of contentment - think a young pup with a belly full of milk after a good long feed. This can help ease cases of anxiety.

If she seems wound up just now, giving benadryl at a dose of 2mg/lb can have a mild sedative effect and may help her settle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I'll do what I can until I get enough money together to get her to the vet I appreciate your time take care

You are very welcome. Hopefully she is feeling much better very soon.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,