Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Our little dwarf hamster has lost 1/2 his fur and is

our little dwarf hamster has lost 1/2 his fur and is scratching a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the hamster's name and age?
Customer: We arent using flea medicine...didnt think it was fleas....Kris and hes about a year and a 1/2
JA: What is the hamster's name?
Customer: Kris
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kris?
Customer: like what type of thing? He is scratching, there was a fungus growing on the inside of his little house
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wondering how long it takes to hear back?

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Does his skin look sore or irritated? Any flakes of skin apparent?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can really tell if there are flakes, he just kind of looks like a plucked chicken on 1/2 his body and lost weight!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His little hut that he boroughsand had a fungus growing on top I just washed it but I wonder if that could be related?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His skin looks pink... irritated. He scratches a lot

These guys can often pick up mites from their bedding causing skin signs such as this. I think a fungal infection is unlikely but I cannot fully rule it out. If he has skin mites, they can be effectively treated with skin drops containing ivermectin. The preparations are usually sold in pet stores and are suitable for birds and small rodents. It is best dosed every 2 weeks for 3 applications. In the UK these drops are marketed under the brand name Xeno, however this may be different in your country. Good pet stores should carry them and will be able to advise you of a suitable dose for him. The improtant thing is that it contains IVERMECTIN.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did I lose u?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok! Great... what about Cushing's syndrome? Could that be possible?
Also with drops will fur return?

I`m still here. Cushings disease is a possibility, however it can be very difficult to treat in hamsters. If it is a mite problem (much more common than cushings disease) then if we can kil off the mites, the itching should improve and the fur should return.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great! I'll get the drops!!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about weight loss? He looks thinner

Weight loss can just be an indicator that he hasn`t been feeling great. They can often also appear thinner as they lose hair, so it can be subjective. Have you noticed any signs of diarrhea or changes in his thirst?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only diarrhea when we put him in his ball... or maybe it's vomiting? ��
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But I'm not sure. I think he may be drinking more bc his cage doesn't smell as much possibly due to diluted urine??

are you having to fill his water bottle more frequently? It is usually the other way around, usually the bedding etc is more wet if they have a problem, which usually means more smells.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not really... but the bedding was wet and not cleaned for 2 weeks... my sons pet.

ok. I would recommend treating for mites initially. You should be seeing some improvement in an initial 2 weeks but I would recommend 3 doses in total 2 weeks apart, even if he does seem to be improving.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank u!!!

You are very welcome, hopefully he is feeling much more his normal self very soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling