Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Have a malamute. Is three years old he seems the be hacking

Customer Question

Have a malamute. Is three years old he seems the be hacking a lot in the last couple of days,good you tell me what it could be.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Malamute?
Customer: He seems to be hacking it is not a cough it is like he what's to through up
JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Malamute's name?
Customer: Shadowdancer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadowdancer?
Customer: He has Tyrol problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Shadowdancer. Is he eating and drinking normally?

What is Tyrol problem?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Sudden onset of hacking can be from a respiratory infection, from irritation in the throat, allergies, or getting a weed seed caught under a tonsil. If he is eating and drinking and swallowing normally, and his gums are pink (not pale), he is probably not in immediate danger.

When I see a dog that is hacking like this, and my examination and listening with a stethoscope are normal, and the dog is still eating normally, I usually treat with antibiotics and an anti inflammatory medication. If that does not help, I next sedate the dog to get a look under the tonsils.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see my answer. How is Shadowdancer doing?

Let me know if my answer was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.