Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I saw my cat eating something off the floor but not sure…

Customer Question
Hi. I saw my cat...
Hi. I saw my cat eating something off the floor but not sure what it can be. I know for sure it is not onions, garlic, chocolate or madications and if it's something stringy I don't think it was too long as I would notice it. It just happened few minutes ago. What are the signs that she might be in trouble?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Veterinary
9/11/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your cat.

In most cases, our pets will be fine if they eat something which they shouldn't, but when they do, I don't advise trying to make cats vomit since the risk of aspiration is too high (unlike for dogs).

For the sake of argument, if she did eat something which might cause issues, the following are the most commonly seen symptoms:

1. vomiting which often is seen within 30 minutes or so after ingestion of certain drugs or plants. If an obstruction develops, then nausea might not be seen for a day or perhaps a little longer.

2. diarrhea, usually within 12-24 hours.

3. loss of appetite...again, usually secondary to an obstruction

4. lethargy or decreased energy which might be seen today or over the next day or so

5. possibly abdominal pain if an obstruction develops

6. On the off chance that she found an otc medication, then balance issues might also be seen or trembling/twitching although the range of symptoms vary quite widely depending on the amount and drug ingested.

At this point, I'd continue to monitor her for any of the symptoms I mentioned; should they develop, then a vet visit would be wise.

I hope this helps, Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your cat. How is she doing today? Any behavior that's different from how she normally acts? Deb