Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Do Parkeets get fleas or other bugs as mind does a lot of

Do Parkeets get fleas or other bugs as mind does a lot of stracthing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: They will be three in oct and there names a Trumpet and Maxie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?
Customer: NO They seem very happy

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The Cnemidocopte pilae mite ("scaly leg and face mite") is the most common of the "bugs" of parakeets who develop proliferative crusty, exuberant growths on the beak, cere, face, legs, the margin of the vent and on the wing tips. A characteristic "honey-combed" appearance is due to the mite tunnneling through the keratin - a structural protein of the skin. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of drying of the skin andresultant pruritic (itchiness). Hypovitaminosis A (a lack of vitamin A in the diet) is most likely. What have you been feeding Trumpet and Maxie, please?

Seeds should compose less than 20% of their diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?