Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Very bad ear mites, Fletcher - 2-1/2, No, healthy otherwise.

very bad ear mites
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the mite can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the mite's name and age?
Customer: Fletcher - 2-1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fletcher?
Customer: No, healthy otherwise.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no phone call, please

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If Fletcher is a cat, the treatment for ear mites is Ivomec, a few drops in each ear will kill them off. This is available at any feed store for cattle. Also, there are feline ear mite treatments available at pet stores that are quite effective. If Fletcher is a dog, ear mites are treated in a similar manner as cats. It is hard to know if this is ear mites or an ear infection so treat with Swimmers Ear, available at the pharmacy over the counter. Apply a few drops of this every 8 hrs and clean out the ears with a kleenex and NOT Qtips.

The pet store also has ear mite medications for dogs but try the Swimmer ear first for a few days. This has an ingredient that dries out the ears so organisms, yeasts and bacteria, cannot grow.

If this is not enough, have your vet examine Fletcher to be sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much, Dr. Loretta. I have been trying to clean wth Qtips, Ugh!

You are very welcome...I hope this helps. Is Fletcher a dog or cat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cat. i actually have 5 (adopted a family of the mother and her four kittens three years ago). They all seem to have a form of these ear mites but Fletcher's seems to be the worst. I cant afford to take all five of them to a local vet so I thought I would try this alternative. i really appreciate your advice.

NO problem...happy to help. The Ivomec at the feed store is quite expensive so using the ear mite medication at the pet store which may have Ivermectin in it would be a good treatment. Also, the flea treatment called Revolution will kill ear mites so if you can get that, it will work well. Ear Miticide available at Petsmart and other pet stores will help in the treatment. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much!!!

You are very welcome....hang in there! It will not be easy to treat so many but it will work if you are diligent.

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Fletcher and his buddies feel better soon!

Have a wonderful day!