Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.
I am so sorry that Charlie decided to tangle with a rattler. I think the fear of some type of reaction ( usually allergic ) has passed, but there can still be some issues with tissue damage from the bite itself, or infection. Infection is usually the biggest concern because of the massive amounts of nasty bacteria in a snakes mouth. So that should be your biggest concern. The best thing is to start Charlie on antibiotics if you can to prevent the bite site from becoming a nasty abscess. He definitely does not need antivenum, & the Benadryl probably is not necessary anymore.
I hope this makes sense & you find the information useful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
You are very welcome. Hopefully Charlie will leave the snakes alone!