Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

One baby rattler strike 30 hours ago. Eating drinking

One baby rattler strike 30 hours ago. Eating drinking pooping and peeing regularly. Not in pain. Moving around, tail wagging. Swollen under jaw but airway is fine. Bitten on jaw. Gave him benedryl. What do I need to watch for.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the baby bleeding a lot?
Customer: Sorry about 14 lb dog 3 years old. Good health.
JA: What is the baby's name?
Customer: No bleeding at all nor in pee
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the baby?
Customer: Charlie

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am so sorry that Charlie decided to tangle with a rattler. I think the fear of some type of reaction ( usually allergic ) has passed, but there can still be some issues with tissue damage from the bite itself, or infection. Infection is usually the biggest concern because of the massive amounts of nasty bacteria in a snakes mouth. So that should be your biggest concern. The best thing is to start Charlie on antibiotics if you can to prevent the bite site from becoming a nasty abscess. He definitely does not need antivenum, & the Benadryl probably is not necessary anymore.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information useful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much ! Feel better now. Will go to local farm store to see about antibiotics.

You are very welcome. Hopefully Charlie will leave the snakes alone!

Take care.