Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as an associate veterinarian
92155571

I have a flock of 6 birds who are all molting at this time.

I have a flock of 6 birds who are all molting at this time. My Plymouth Rock has watery diarrhea, her vent area is very nearly bare, her comb is drooping and she is lethargic and hiding. The other birds are being very unkind to the poor thing. What should I do? Should she be isolated? How do I treat her? Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Dixie Chick is just over 2 yrs.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Dixie Chick.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your bird?
Customer: We were out of town for a few days over the holiday and she was not well when we returned. The other birds appear to be healthy at this time.

Hi I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Dixie Chick's troubles. Molting is a very stressful and draining process on a bird. It is easy for their immune system to get down and for normal, everyday organisms to cause problems. You should isolate her so that she doesn't have the added stress of the other birds bothering her. Keep her someplace clean and dry with easy access to fresh water. You can also give her probiotic supplements. There are many out there made for chickens, but plain yogurt works well and is a good source of calcium. Just give her a tablespoon or two on top of her regular food.

You can also increase her protein. Since feathers are made mostly of protein, molting is a high protein demand time. You can increase protein by feeding cooked eggs, canned or cooked meat and fish, or meal worms.

There may be some added benefit to adding vinegar to her water. Two tablespoons per gallon is sometimes used for GI issues. It's unknown if it really helps, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

Finally, if she is not better within 48 hours or gets worse, it would time to see a vet and possibly get an antibiotic to help clear up the diarrhea.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr. Bonk. I'll give your suggestions a try and see if we can get our girl turned around. -Joy

You're welcome. I hope she gets feeling better soon!