Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

I have a group of chickens about 6-1/2 months old. They were

I have a group of chickens about 6-1/2 months old. They were purchased from a hatchery and vax before shipped
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: sorry about that 4 have gone blind with both eyes fully dilated.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: They don't at this time. They are Wyandotte chickens I plan to use as breeders next year
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: Healthy in every way except the eyes dilated

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand 4 of your latest chickens have become blind. Are you observing any other neurological signs such as head shaking, muscle twitching, lack of coordination of movements, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Completely normal except for the eyes. They know enough where to find food and water.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eyes are clear with no cloudiness but so dilated there is no eye color showing

Thank you for that information. Differentials for sudden loss of eye sight in young chickens include heavy metal toxicity, bacterial/fungal infection, Marek’s Disease, Newcastle Disease, and salmonella. If it is Marek's Disease then you would expect to eventually see other neurological problems such as loss of mobility. Marek's Disease and Newcastle is only diagnosed based on necropsy. However, a blood test can confirm a heavy metal toxicity. Antibiotics for an infection. You can give them supplementary Vitamin E. Deficiency can cause a brain disorder called encephalomalacia. The dose of vitamin E is 100 IU/day for 3 days.

Please let me know if you have any other question. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pretty sure its not mereks. I had them vax before they were shipped and they symptoms don't match mereks. They were from a salmonella free flock (NPIP). Will check on newcastle. And will give them vitamins.

You are correct. The neurological signs do not scream Marek's Disease and the vaccination program is encouraging. Hopefully it is not that. Please let me know if you have any other questions. All the best!

Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry