Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I HAVE HAD 12 BACKYARD HENS DIE IN THE LAST 5 DAYS OUT OF A

I HAVE HAD 12 BACKYARD HENS DIE IN THE LAST 5 DAYS OUT OF A FLOCK OF 21. THEY BECOME LETHARGIC AND I FIND THEM ON THE FLOOR OF THE COOP DEAD IN THE MORNING, 2 MORE APPEAR SICK AND I DON'T EXPECT THEM TO BE ALIVE WHEN I GET HOME, WHAT DO I DO?

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with your flock. Epidemiologically speaking, either a virulent infectious and contagious agent has invaded your flock or they've been intoxicated through their feed or water (less likely). To answer you directly, you need to determine the cause of these deaths and that's done by having a necropsy performed on a newly dead bird or a sacrificed badly ill bird that had been refrigerated - not frozen. A necropsy can be performed by an avian vet (www.aav.org), brought to a generalist vet who can send the carcass to a pathologist at his veterinary reference lab, by a veterinary school pathology service, a county extension poultry service, or a county animal disease diagnostic laboratory if you're fortunate enough to have such a laboratory in your county. Are there any symptoms common to your birds prior to death?

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi James,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?