Denise Cudiamat
Denise Cudiamat, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
99472105

We found a White crowned sparrow that appears to have an

We found a White crowned sparrow that appears to have an injured wing. The bird otherwise looks healthy and can become a little airborne with a lot of effort. My guess would be that it may have a fracture in one of its wings because it looks a little ungainly. Is there something I can do for this poor creature that would make sense?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the sparrow?
Customer: It is unable to retain its position on the branch when we placed it in a tree. It's obviously scared but I cannot discern what a specific injury might be.
JA: Where does the sparrow seem to hurt?
Customer: It isn't easy to examine. It's upright in the ventilated box we have it in, it has lost some feathers but is calm now that it feels safe in the box.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: The wings are in the normal position when the bird is at rest. Earlier, when it was agitated, after falling out of a tree, one of the wings appeared to be injured, but that certainly is not obvious now. My reluctance is to free the Bird since I know that it will be easily victimized by another animal.
JA: Is the sparrow eating normally?
Customer: We have not tried to feed the sparrow yet.
JA: What is the sparrow's name and age?
Customer: This is a wild sparrow. It appears to be a young adult.
JA: What is the sparrow's name?
Customer: It is an unnamed wild sparrow.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the sparrow?
Customer: No.

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

My best recommendation would be to find a wildlife rehab in your area to care for your injured sparrow.

Where do you live?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Henderson, Nevada. I tried online to find a location for a rehab facility that might be open today unsuccessfully.

I have searched as well with minimal success. It seems at this point you have a choice to hold onto your sparrow until you might be able to find a rehab facility on Tuesday, or release him/her back into the wild and allow nature to take its course.

Unfortunately, there are no over the counter medications or therapies I can recommend for your sparrow.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Cudiamat. I'm on my way to pick up some mealworms to feed overnight. Best wishes.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!