Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

Our sheltie, has a lipid-something, forgot the name, in her

Hi pearl, our sheltie, has...
Hi pearl, our sheltie, has a lipid-something, forgot the name, in her eye. We had it checked out at the vet a while ago. he said -- from what i can remember -- fat? something like this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: well, this was a few months ago. and right now -- her eye is red and she's closing it. there is a film over her eye. definitely seems to be inflamed\
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: there seems to be a cluster of lipids and --- she's closing it like shes winking at me, but shes not. yes, of course, my sheltie
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the's name and age?
Customer: winter is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winter?
Customer: nope.... i'm just trying to figure out the next step. do i take her now? how to alleviate her discomfort especailly because monday is a long way away
Is there anything OTC we can use in her eye to help the redness, film and discomfort?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/26/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

ok

I can not call right now but I think your girl has corneal lipidosis. It normally does not cause pain but in Shelties it can cause a flare up of pain periodically.

Is she currently on any eye medication? Do you have any on hand?

well shes in it right now..... and just don't know what to do or next course of action.
none. what is needed to alleviate

She will need to see the emergency vet then and they will most likely prescribe an eye drop with an anti-inflammatory.

going to emergency is justified then?

They may also put some yellow dye in her eye to see if she has a scratch on her cornea. If she does the yellow dye will stick to the scratch and then an antibiotic eye drop would be prescribed.

is there any way this can be removed from her eye?

Yes, eye pain is really painful. I do not think they will want to do all kinds of tests or take x-rays so that is good.

Next week you will want to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary opthamologist.

i wish she could let me know she's uncomfortable... she's been so peaceful today, except, the winking at me and clearly, it's obvious her eye is giving her problems.
that's what i wanted to ask you. should we go see the emergency vet now, or do we wait to see opthalmologist

They have extra years of training for just eyes

So they will figure out if the cause is a birth defect or old age change or high cholesterol in the blood. Then they can tell you what treatment options or if surgery would help.

If it were me I would take her to the emergency clinic tonight. Like I said it will be expensive to walk in the door but its not like she needs blood work or xrays.

If it is possible to go there I would take her in.

you recommend we do both, right? Correct. She's our baby, but, the emergency clinic really likes to add in all those tests!

I would not want her to wait until Monday if she is squinting.

ok, anything i should say to them tonight?
what would you prescribe so i can look for it

Yes, definitely take her to the ER tonight and the eye specialist next week.

Just tell them you want to to address the eye this evening to make her comfortable until she sees the specialist next week.

she's squinting hard -- often leaving the left eye closed

Just a second. Im typing.

So as far as what will be prescribed

If they put the yellow dye in the eye and it shows she has a scratch on the cornea then antibiotics will be prescribed.

If her pupil is very small from the pain then a medication called atropine may be prescribed.

If she just has inflammation flubiprofen or antibiotic eye drops with cortisone in it may be prescribed.

It is really tough to say what will be prescribed without check the eye

So the plain is take her to the ER tonight and the specialist this week.

Does that make sense?

Do you have any other questions at this time for me?

ok, she's going. Thank you for your help. And again, to be clear, tonight the ER is just to make her comfortable. nothing they give us will help her eye. For this, we need to go to the eye specialist. correct?
if the redness has gone away and she's squinting less on monday, will the opthalmologist think we overreacted by taking her in?

Yes, the ER is to make her eye comfortable.

And yes, you need to go to the eye specialist to determine the cause and treatment options.

this lipid thing can be removed in shelties?

No, the opthamologist will think you did the right thing to alleviate her discomfort.

ok, i really wonder why our vet didn't warn us about this. We brought her in for a separate visit especially for this when we first noted the spot in her eye.
he said there was nothing we could do.

You will need to discuss that with the opthamologist. I have never had a pet have one removed in 20 years of being a vet.

My own dog had the same condition and it was not a problem.

Most other dogs I see that have it do not have pain from it.

It can just cause pain periodically.

You will want to discuss that with the opthamologist.

The opthalmologist has much more training in eyes then your vet and myself.

That is why you take her there.

While i have you here, what food do you give your own pets?
We use Taste of the Wild. Just curious your opinion for the health of our sheltie.

I use proplan sensitive skin and stomach dry food and canned food

Yes, taste of the wild is very good.

just wondered if you thought her food could have contributed to this

No, I highly doubt it did.

It is most likely a hereditary birth defect since she is a Sheltie.

Because it is more common in Shelties. So that makes the food less likely and being a Sheltie a more likely cause

She's a rescue sheltie ---- we've taken her from a hoarding situation. our 2nd sheltie -- the first being from show dogs. This is our first experience. And she's the sweetest dog ever. peaceful, quiet ---- i never thought shelties were this quiet.

I am very glad you rescued her and I am sure she is too.

My neighbor has one that barks non-stop

You are lucky

if she's in great pain, she went and laid down and decided not to bother us. it was us that went to her --- and noticed all that was happening. She kept it to herself

That was very kind of her.

But I would still take her to the ER tonight : )

we've seen what people do to shelties to keep them quiet. they really need to be worked with --- these are not chained up dogs or just throw in the yard type dogs. they're super sensitive, they want a job to do and so smart, easily trained. they just need love and to be worked with --- i taught my first sheltie -- \'quiet! She was loud and energetic --- had to go 4 miles just to be calm and happy. This one --- a couch potato
ok, we're going. thanks. anything i didn't ask that i should have?
going to ER now.

Not that I can think of. I have to run out and give a pet with pneumonia some medicine. I will be back online in about 2 hours if you think of something later.

are you local? michigan?
metro detroit area?

No, I am in Virginia.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
ah, well, originally hail from metro DC/maryland/springfield, VA --- thanks
bye

Take care. I hope she feels better.

Yes, lots of traffic there. : )

You are welcome.

We took Winter to ER. They tested with the dye --- negative. They 're giving her antibiotic in case she's the start of an ulcer and at the chance of any infection starting. They gave us this and pain reliever for her to be given every 8 hours. The antibiotic every 3 to 4 hours.

That sounds like a reasonable and good treatment plan.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian