Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our African grey rescue parrot seems to have potentially…

Our African grey rescue parrot...
Our African grey rescue parrot seems to have potentially gone blind today. She could see fine a few hours ago (really), but all of a sudden she's only on the bottom of her cage, pupils dialated & seemingly fixed, and does not become aware when you try to get her attention. I'm so worried. Any ideas on what to do? ={
8/19/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Simba seems to have lost her sight suddenly. I am very sorry to hear about that. I can help you with the next steps to do from here. Would you mind please telling me if you have noticed any recent changes to Simba's mobility, ability to perch, move about the cage, flying, etc.? Also, can you please inform me what Simba eats on a regular basis? Finally, any possible history of lead toxicity such as swallowing paint from the bars on the cage or toys? Thank you. I will be standing by.

She was literally fine one minute & then chose to go down to the bottom of the cage about 2 hours ago where she's remained.Her cage is 100% stainless steel. She eats Laferber's Nutriberries, and their seed mix. Organic apples & grapes.We try to be very careful with all chemicals, so as to not get fumes of any kind near her. We don't use teflon coated pans either.It seemed to have happened while I was cooking dinner though. Would browning/cooking onions (in an organic pan) in the next room possibly affect her this way? He hearing seems fine. Respiration seems fine. Motility seems fine. She just can't see all of a sudden. I'm so scared! ={
We've had her for about a year. She is a rescue. Great appetite. Good quality stool. Very active usually. Loves toys.

Thank you for that information. I am in the process of writing my response. Please bear with me a few moments.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Is it possible to please speak on the phone with you for an extra fee?
Phone call session started

This website will give a list of all general practitioners that have additional certification in avian medicine: http://abvp.com/animal-owners/find-an-abvp-specialist/

The ones I found nearest you are the following:

Dr. William Olkowski -(###) ###-#### Fisherville, VA

Dr. Scott Stahl -(###) ###-#### Fairfax, VA

Dr. Heather Bowles -(###) ###-#### Westminster, MD

Also, consider this site for another list of general practice veterinarians that might be closer to you: https://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedbirdvetsvirginia.html

Hi Terri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Simba. How is everything going?
***** *****