Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Our dog, an 80 pound german shepherd is itching all over and

Customer Question

Our dog, an 80 pound german shepherd is itching all over and scraaching a lot. Is it safe to give hiim a 25mg benadryl capsule to see if that eases his allergy?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the German shepherd's name and age?
Customer: Rocky is three years old and I don't think it is fleas but an allergic reaction. He has been treated each month with the rub on type of flea/tick prevention medication.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?
Customer: He was rescued as a pup after being abused so is very unfriendly to anyone but my wife and I. With us he is affectionate. I hesitate to take him to the vet as the staff there are afraid of him
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Amber Hinson replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. Sorry to hear that Rocky is having this issue.

You can try Benadryl for sure but you are giving too low of a dose. Dogs need a much larger dose than people as they metabolize it faster. The dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to three times a day. So at 80# ***** would give him 75mg to start with which is 3 of the 25mg capsules.

Does that answer your question??