Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My bird is sick with likely a bacteria infection. I took him

Hello. My bird is sick with likely a bacteria infection. I took him to vet who has not worked with birds before although he graduated from Texa A&M and you would think he had seen a bird or two there. I have had my Blue Front Amazon for 40 years. He prescribed 3 cc of Zydaclin twice daily for 5 days. Not going to be easy to it down him. He is pretty sick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections your bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: He lives indoors but is not really tame now. He has lived in many locations. He is a hardy bird. I went away for 7 days and had our caretaker caring for the bird and feeding his usual diet. I wonder if he substituted something unwashed from the grocery store. He usually has seeds, pellets, and fruits/vegetables available at all times and changed daily.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
WE also had a realtor showing our home and when we got home the house was much colder than we keep it. I have a heater with him now and he perked up a bit. He is on his perch...not on floor. He ate a bite of banana last night but doesn't appear to be eating nor drinking otherwise.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vet didn't do any testing with him as he was afraid of the bird and said that he would give the same antibiotic for almost any infection. Charlie does not have any signs of nasal issues. I feel pretty sure it is an intestinal thing, but ????
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His cage is kept clean, he has fresh food and water daily.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello? No vet available yet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My bird is very sick.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I talk to him, he only makes a tiny little mewing sound. Unlike his usual loud squawk, screaming or talking.

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that Charlie has been sick lately and was prescribed Zydaclin to be given every 12 hours. I would like to ask a couple follow up questions to make sure I am giving you the correct advice. You mentioned there are no nasal issues, so I am assuming there is no discharge from the eyes or nose. Is Charlie eating normally? Are the feces normal? Any regurgitation? Can you also please tell me what brand of seed and pellet Charlie is offered?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not eating or drinking. No discharge from nose or eyes. Feces not normal. Very thin, yellowish. Hasn't defecated in a few hours. No regurgitation. He has been on the same diet for years. Higgins VitaSeed and Zupreem pellets.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is making small mewing sounds.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had him for 40 years, but I don't know how old he was when I got him. He also eats fresh fruit and veggies daily.
Apples, watermelon, grapes, etc.Is there some way to get this medicine down him? He won't touch it in water or on fruit. The Vet said 3cc BID. I don't see how that could possibly happen.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He remains on his perch, but extremely quiet and still.

I am going to check that dose for you. Please all me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. I think he got too cold for more than a day since realtor was here photographing home and asked us to leave so we went out of town. Our usual caretaker was feeding and watering, so that should have been okay.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I put about 6 cc in his water bowl and added about a half inch of water...hoping he would try it, but I doubt he will.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We live about 60 miles out of Houston where they do have avian vets, but when I called the nearest one, the avian vet was out of the office today so I went to a vet my regular vet recommended and he never saw a parrot before.

Thank you for your patience. Most Blue Front Amazons weigh about 300-500 grams. Calculating for a 400 gram Amazon, the dose would be 1.5 milliliters given every 24 hours for 3-5 days. If the weight is correct at the dose I calculated then that should make it a little easier for you. Putting the antibiotic in the water is a good idea, but correct dosing may be difficult if he does not drink the entire amount of water.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The weighed his cage and then him in it and he weighed in at 1.4 lbs. I think he is severely dehydrated.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there another way to get it into him? I tried putting it directly into his mouth but he just shook it out. I am afraid to get it into his lungs. I can possibly force it down his throat but what if it got in his lungs?

Giving an oral medication can be challenging. First, the restraint is an important part and may require two people to give the medication while one person restrains. Using a towel to hold around the body to support with one hand and using the thumb and middle finger to control the head is a proper technique. I will send a video before we finish. Directing the syringe to the left side of the mouth will follow the direction of the esophagus so getting liquid down the lungs is minimized with this approach. Giving the medication in drops is another way to prevent it (i.e. don't rush it).

Here is a picture of the hand position I was referring to: http://www.birdsandexotics.com/wp-content/uploads/bird-wrangler-e1373404706405-225x300.jpg

The towel can be wrapped around the entire body and held with the other hand.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Perfect! Thank you so much. I don't have anything to measure a ml so I am guessing it is 1/3 of a cc?

There are 5 milliliters in a teaspoon, so about 1/3 of a teaspoon will give you the correct amount (i.e. 1.5 mL).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
once a day?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm going to do it now. Thank you so much for your expert advice. I hope it isn't too late. I am keeping him warm but he is pretty weak. Anything else I can do?

Yes, once a day. Not twice - that's for cats and dogs.

Regarding what is going wrong here, not eating, yellow feces, and lethargy are first observations of a sick bird. There are many different possibilities for this. Infection is possible, but organ disease (i.e. liver, kidney, etc.) and neoplasia are at the top. Often times, chronic malnutrition results in a "fatty liver syndrome." Although pellets have been offered, most of the time what that means is the bird eats around the pellets and primarily eats the seeds, which are high in fat and low in vitamins and essential nutrients. Sick birds are almost always dehydrated, so that ne

Increasing the ambient temperature to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity to 85% is good support. I think he will do better if you can get him to an avian veterinarian that can perform initial diagnostics and treat for any underlying condition (i.e. organ disease vs. malnutrition). Birds that are acting sick need to be treated aggressively, and a good avian veterinarian is equipped to do that. With everything we discussed, you are doing all you can with what you have available.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!