Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Tibetan Spaniel 12 years old urine smwlls fishy & he's

My Tibetan Spaniel 12 years old urine smwlls fishy & he's urinating more often
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Tibetan Spaniel's name?
Customer: Rubio
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rubio?
Customer: He's had a stroke in the last 4 months.He has some trouble walking,back legs are wrak
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: On the foot pads ?

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear about Rubio's fishy smelling urine, and more frequent urination.

I understand that he has a history of weakness in his rear legs and trouble walking.

It sounds like he has a urinary tract infection. Those are rare in male dogs because they have such a long urethra, which usually successfully keeps bacteria out of the urinary tract.

In his case however it is possible that his weakness in his rear legs indicates poor nerve function in his spinal cord.

That can also affect his urethra's ability to function properly and keep bacteria out, and it can affect his ability to fully empty his bladder normally. When dogs cannot fully empty their bladder that predisposes to bacteria growth in the bladder.

I highly recommend Rubio see his veterinarian for a physical examination and urinalysis with culture.

In the meantime push fluids. The more his urinary tract is flushed out the better he will feel and more bacteria will be flushed out of his urinary tract.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.