Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

Bobbi's grip is weak, His grip is weak and his climbing

Bobbi's grip is weak
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?
Customer: His grip is weak and his climbing seems to be harder for him. He is eating, preening and does not seem sick except for this that started today.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Bobbi and he is 17. He is a Quaker
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bobbi?
Customer: Not to my knowledge

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bobbi is having difficulty gripping the perch. Did this occur today or have you been observing a gradual decline in Bobbi's ability to grip?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It just started yesterday, Aug. 3rd.

There are a few different reasons for losing the ability to grip with the feet. One is from physical trauma to the foot. This should be fairly obvious on observation. If you do not see any problems with the foot or toes then the issue is likely either neurological or skeletal. Arthritis is a skeletal problem that is a possibility at this age. One tends to think about arthritis occurring gradually, but birds are adept at hiding discomfort for a long period of time and may have been able to conceal it. More commonly, though, is a neurological issue. The nerve used to facilitate gripping of the toes actually runs right through the kidney. Therefore, if there is any problem with the spine (i.e. arthritis, disc herniatioon) or the kidney (i.e. neoplasia, gout) compression of that nerve prohibits the ability to contract the muscles and grip the perch. The best thing to do to figure this out is to have a x-ray performed of the abdomen and spine. This should give you the information you need.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PerryDVM
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Was able to find an avian vet and Bobbi has a problem with his arteries and some fluid in the lungs. He is now on medication. Thank you