Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My bird flew from my shoulder and my dog went after it. We

My bird flew from my shoulder and my dog went after it. We got them immediately and he barely got a hold of her. She looks fine. All feathers are in place but she's a lot quieter now. Her feathers are a little ruffled and she keeps closing her eyes. She has ate some and drank on her own since it happened. I'm still nervous though
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your bird will be able to digest that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Calliope 3 months
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Calliope
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Calliope?
Customer: She's a Quaker parrot

Hello. My name is***** and I am an avian veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Calliope got a scare from your dog and is now sitting with her feathers ruffled and her eyes closed. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Can you give me a little more information if your dog actually got Calliope in his mouth?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We think he did. Very quickly. We were right there. We didn't have to extract her from him. Her chest feathers were just a little wet. We've checked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like she has any obvious injuries. He's also a lab and they do have pretty soft mouths. I also tried calling all of my avian vets around me and none had openings

This is a troubling situation because I would love to tell you that if there are no visible skin punctures then there is no likely damage. Unfortunately, blunt trauma that does not cause a skin puncture can still occur if the force is strong enough. That would be the concern I would have in this case. A x-ray of the chest would be recommended in this case just to make sure the lungs and air sacs are OK. In the meantime, until a spot opens up with an avian veterinarian, I would recommend a couple things to help support the immune system. It is unlikely you have an oxygen cage, and not very likely you even need one at the moment, but increasing the ambient temperature to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit and the humidity level to about 85% will be helpful. I would also recommend to keep the perches low for the time being in case she becomes lethargic.

I am happy to hear that she feels comfortable enough to eat and drink on her own. That is a good sign for comfort, but it does not confirm that no blunt trauma (i.e. broken rib, pneumothorax, etc.) has occurred.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!