Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

Brought my small flock of chickens inside because temps are

Brought my small flock of chickens inside because temps are up to 106 degrees. This morning one has passed what looks like about 1/2 teaspoon of blood...not mucous, just blood. Active and eating, but hasn't laid for a day. Only one of my 5 have laid since I brought them in. They are in large cages. I had the sick one in with her sister, but have now separated.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Heat can definitely take a toll on chickens ( as well as the rest of us ), so I am very glad you had the sense to get them to a cooler area. Most people can not bring their birds indoors, so I have them place fans blowing over frozen liter pop bottles to try & cool down the coops.

The GI tract is very sensitive to elevated temperatures, & the lining can slough fairly easily. Fortunately, this also heals very quickly. Any stress, but especially heat, can exacerbate any problems in the gut especially parasites. Coccidia is one that immediately comes to mind. It would not hurt to deworm your birds with something like amprolium, but you can also gather some stool samples to take to your veterinarian for analysis.

It is not unusual for laying to slow down in the heat. My flock's egg production is cut 50% during heat waves. It picks up within a week or so after it cools down a bit. Make sure the scratch is only 10-20 % of the total diet, as it will make your hens too fat & this will affect egg production as well. You can bump it up a little if it gets cold enough in the winter. As long as she is still eating & her color is good, then she may have just gotten a little heat stressed & will be fine.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Dr Linda. I will keep a close watch, and in the meantime will add a little Kocci Free to her water. She is the only one of the group with this issue although all have a little more mucous in their poo than typical, but no blood and normal poo overall. I am in the Pacific NW and none is used to triple digit heat. Going on day 4 of 90 and above. At 105 I said forget it they have to be inside. Will return them once back to the 80's. They are used to that and have lots of shade. Thanks for the advice.

You are welcome. You guys are having quite a bad time with the heat & the fires burning. I wish you all the best.

Take care.