Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My horse appears to have what I Think may be some kind of

Hi there, my horse appears to have what I Think may be some kind of skin allergy that just flared up last week - from about his withers down his left side, he's got tiny, tiny bumps, almost like I guess a heat rash in humans may be - when I gently rub at them, they scab off with his fur. this is now fluid or pus or anything withthem and he doesn't seem to itch them, but he also doesn't really like me messing with them. it's only on one side of him - nowhere else. I did put a fly spray on him a few days before and wondered if he'd reacted to that. wondered what I can do to make him comfy - I'm gently washing that area in dermaline shampoo and then puuting antiseptic oil (Battles Green Oil) on it. wondering what else I can do, or what it might be - I'm s/where right now where I don't have access to any vet :(
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the horse's name?
Customer: you think it's fleas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your horse?
Customer: No

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

It could well be a reaction to the fly spray, have you used this particular product on him before?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Richard, yes, my idiocy though ... I had 2 bottles of fly spray, bottles were same make so look the same. that brand I know he doesn't react to, or he never has before. I had been reusing the bottles and so in one of them I'd put a watered down version with whoop-a-bug, which is one he HAD reacted to in the past, although only once.on that occasion, the allergy displayed in a different way, there were huge raised welts on him. So, the trouble is I don't know for sure which bottle of fly spray I grabbed that day :( if it is the fly spray, the allergy display is not the same as it was the first time. I do have some pictures I can send you? Also, just fyi - although I don't this can be anything to do with it - he IS in different stabling now, in and indoor stable block.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, I can't upload the photos to send for some reason

If it is a mild allergic reaction it should be self limiting. If you are seeing any blistering or crusting bathing the area with a chlorhexidine solution such as hibiscrub can help soothe the lesions and prevent any secondary infections. If you don`t have access to chlorhexidine then a salt water solution is a reasonable substitute.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. It has not spread, i will do the salt water solution as am unsure if can get the hibiscrub. One final question - is a shot of antibiotic going to do any good? because the owner of the stable has just called to say they have given the horse antibiotics, I'm assuming Sulprim as it is one of the few available here. But would antibiotics work on an allergy??

they would help with an infection, but for a genuine uncomplicatd allergy they would have no effect.

Best Wishes,

Richard.