Veterinary

Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Veterinary

I have a 2 year old healthy 6#toy Havanese named Santiago.

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 2...
Hi. I have a 2 year old healthy 6#toy Havanese named Santiago. The most loving, cheerful dog you could ever meet. Friday I had him groomed & because of matts he was shaved. Bc he shivered I put a shirt on him. He seemed fine Friday Eve and Saturday morning before we left left for the day...gone 8 hrs. And have done this before w/out probs. He is not an anxiety ridden dog. Ever! The cleaning lady whom he adores was here another 2 hours after we left. When we got home, he acted excited to se us and then everything changed. His behavior then & currently is the complete opposite of what he normally us. He usually seeks me out constantly, can't go to the bathroom w/out him following, curls up & snuggles w me after turning around 2-3 times & plunks down, begs for food & scratches incessantly when he know I'm cooking to get back in the house, energetic & demands you play catch with his toys, likes his bone which is a special treat, sleeps in bed w me & lays close for warmth. None of that now. He prefers to be on the floor under something so it's harder for me to get him. Shakes when I hold him & wants down. Perks up for a sec when I say "get your toy"! Then I get it and throw it & he stares at it. He is eating. Little bits of roast beef & scrambled egg. Leaving his kibble alone. I am a nurse & my exam shows him to have bright eyes, wet nose, belly non distended & soft(hence I fed him). He is peeing. When I palpate around his body, he's non tender. Last night when my husband picked him up from the floor under his forelegs in a supportive style he yelped but occasionally he does this. I can't replicate it. He is alert & is oriented. Follows commands like let's go outside & he heads for the door. I am so concerned with this change in his behavior I am beside myself. He adores my husband but, would prefer not to interact w us. Kathy Hovey
JA: I'm sure Santiago feels you are doing your best. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Santiago. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Santiago?
Customer: He is current in all vaccinations. He did have a few times where he was trying to hack up something a couple of days ago but he didn't throw up anything. He has done this periodically but never had a chance in his overall wellness.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Veterinary
He is outside in a controlled setting. Never in a field w thick weeds where he might have picked up a tick. I see no marks like target lesions which I would be able to see since his grooming. I just spoke w the cleaning lady & she told me he played like usual with his toys & she took him for 2 walks where he sniffed & marked everything along the way. He did have a small normal, formed brown poop. She did say Santi looked very sad when she left.
7/30/2017
Veterinarian: Dr. Emily, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian

My name is***** and I would like to assist with your concern today. Please ignore the request for the phone call that appears as the website generates this automatically. We can continue talking in the chat format.

Thank you for the full history and what you found on physical exam. Has he ever been fully shaved at the groomer before?

About 4 times. When he got quite matted. He starts matts close to the skin. I like him with a thicker coat but occasionally I wait too long. He's never had a depressive reaction before. It almost acts like that but it's just not his nature. He's happy all the time.

Some dogs have a very strong reaction to be shaved -- such as hiding and not wanting to eat -- which is why I ask. Does he have any trouble jumping on and off of furniture? Another common "injury" after grooming is if they've strained their neck or back. You mentioned him yelping once when picking him up.

Ok. No charge on bill. Dr. Emily told me to ignore. Sorry.

Don't worry, the website automatically generates that. I cancelled the request on my end.

He never had that reaction before. He always has a strong sense of his little self...kind of alpha sometimes. He can jump up and off the outdoor bench, chair & my bed which is high. I've Palpated his neck...muscle soft & non tender. His head around ears non tender. He does yelp periodically. He fell off a high table last year and was sore around his shoulder & ribs for awhile but didn't require rx.
My granddaughter whom he is always excited to see will come around 8p. I'll see his rx then. I can see where he might be upset w me by why my husband?

Yes, that is very tough to say. I wish I could tell you a specific reason for that. If he remembers when your husband picked up him last night and something hurt (that was when he yelped), he could be hesitant to let that happen again.

Ok. I will take him to his vet tomorrow. Now, I'm going to take him for a walk & see if he wants to go. He just drank water. I'm not worried along those lines. Thanks for letting me run this by you.

Be sure to go easy on the walk so he doesn't overdo it. I'll be on and off all day today if you need anything else. Do you have any other questions at this time?

He did great on his walk. I hadn't seen your last advice. He was fully interested and came running when I said lets go for a walk. Full of vigor. Peed, marked, kicked up dirt, pooped. Now off somewhere so can't assess his interactions. I'll just let him do his own thing & walk him later since he enjoys that.

Ok, thank you for the update. That all sounds quite positive. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hello! Just wanted to check in and see how things were going today.

Santiago has regained his personality and vigor and is back to his affectionate self. Last night I found the reason for his yelps. He has a very sore right internal ear. His more external cartilage is clean. There is no smell. With a light I could see at the beginning of his canal something black. I can usually get my finger a bit into his canal and swear I felt something move & he reacted. Sometimes he shakes his head that ends up a whole body shake as if he were drying himself. He still has pain today. I'm wondering if he has mites or a bug. I am shocked at his behavior this weekend. I have never seen him so solitary & resisting our attentions preferring to be under a chair or table. If it's a bug maybe he just didn't want to move or be coddled. What do you think?

Ears can definitely be very sensitive and if in the inner ear, this can affect his demeanor even more. Ear mites are fairly uncommon for healthy adult dogs. We most often see them in cats and puppies. However, a deeper infection with bacteria or yeast is definitely possible. They cause debris that is dark in color which may be what you are seeing. If his head shaking continues, I would suggest having your vet recheck him so they can use their scope to view the deeper portions of his ear.

You can certainly clean the ears out at home with ear cleaner but we don't want to push any debris down further into the ear.

Santi has bilateral ear infections. He will get an antibiotic daily & bid flushes. Over July 4th weekend, he was in lake water very briefly where he was all wet otherwise no other exposure to water until he's groomed which was last Friday but he's never had an infection before. Would that cause his withdrawal for 24 hrs? But, then he bounced right back w/out medicine. Mystified. Thanks Dr. Emily.
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian